Tuesday 8 April 2014

The One Where I Play At Warhammer World!



Well, Well, Well…look whose come crawling back! Welcome friends to another exciting edition of the GeekPhotoGuy Blog! This time… I’ve got a lot to cram in so grab your popcorn, drink your tea and enjoy!
This weekend, I went to Warhammer World with WS10Gaming (@Slaaneshfiend, @NigelSBartlett (Not present, but there in spirit), @Petehumpage, @Wilsongrahams, @CaptainHelvetos, @Lukanwhitehouse, @badsausagesdjs, @79sponge, @Liam_Humpage and @NinjaNathUK) to play in the Midland’s Team Challenge, which consisted of us, Battle Brothers (Wolverhampton/Telford…ish), The Dudley Boys (Take a guess where they’re from!) and Stafford Powerfisters (Yes… A lot of fisting goes on in Stafford…apparently!). Obviously, there are other gaming clubs available but these are the ones which participated at the weekend. The only down side… Stafford only brought 2 players due to drop outs so that wasn’t great but we did manage to get pick-up games against various people which gave us a fantastic day out! I’m going to give you the break-down of my two games in this post and share a few photos from around WHW and other games! 

The idea of the day was to employ the ETC system which means you pit one player against another, total the scores up from every game and find a winner! Well, the Dudley boys and the Battle Brothers slogged it out and the Dudley lads (with 2 ETC players) took the win! We did have a helping hand in that win with our own @Slaaneshfiend playing for them against a Nid list. He did lose but those Nids are rock! 

Anyway, back to talking about ME! Both @Petehumpage and I got a game against the two Stafford lads while the rest of the WS10 boys paired off against each other and picked up a game for the morning session. We thought that all in all because Pete and I brought ‘competitive lists’, or more so than some of the other lads, we were best off playing the boys from Stafford. I was drawn against Alan who was using a pretty standard Tau build but not quite the build I’ve faced before in tournaments but really not far off!

So, game one:

Alan

Mission: Crusade (4 Objectives)

Deployment: Hammer and Anvil

Alan’s List: I haven’t got the whole list but I can give you a basic/non-tau knowledge bomb!
Batman +2 Bodyguard
Ethereal
30 Fire Warriors
2 x 3 Crisis Suits with Plas
Riptide (no skyfire or override!)
3 Broadsides
2 x 4 pathfinders
Ion tank
Hammerhead
Aegis with quad
 Ethereal!

Okay, I’ve got first turn… I’ve deployed on the line with no Night Fighting and 3 DreadKnights ready to bounce and flame!
My list:
Inquisitor w/Psykotrope
Cotez
3 x 1 Crusader and 4 Death Cults
1 x 2 Crusader and 4 Death Cults
3 Warrior Acolytes
5 Warrior Acolytes and 1 Crusader
2 Land Raiders (1 Redeemer, 1 Crusader)
3 Dreadknights w/ Teleporters and Incinerators
Stormraven w/multi melta and lascannon

Alan decides he wants to steal first turn and to be honest, with Cotez on my side it wasn’t likely! Well… he rolls a 6! STOLEN! 





“Oh, I’ve got Cotez mate!”
“No worries!” *Rolls Die*… 6!!!

UNREAL! 2 6’s in a row to steal first turn savagely from me… douche! Damn it! Nevermind... so we go in to turn 1 and to be honest, it may suit me going 2nd but against a huge fire list with a massive threat range I wanted to go first and cause some damage before anything else happened.
Alan managed to take down 2 DreadKnights in the 1st turn. The plus side... it's taken his whole army to get those two down! The next plus side... he's killed the two DKs on the flanks which leaves the one in the middle to bump the 30" and incinerating everything in sight! 
Alan's set up allowed me to focus on his Batman commander (those of you who don't know what one is or think that I'm in love with Batman... He's called Batman because he's got all the tools - Tank hunter, monster hunter, etc!). His commander was placed the front of his unit on the right flank which allowed me to bump into his face and make him deal with me before I deal with him! 



As you may be able to see, the DK is at the top of the picture! Both LRs smashed forward with little fear! His list only has 5 weapons that can scratch them! Job's a good un'! The DK got rid of a unit of Fire Warriors and now was right in Batman's face! What can Batman do? Call Robin? No... he did one better... Call 3 broadsides, 20 Fire Warriors, a hammerhead and a Ion tank (which I still don't know the name of!).
And what happened to the DK I hear you cry after ALL that firepower...oh... please note that the Ethereal was in a unit of 10 Fire Warriors giving additional shots... What happened... 3 wounds!!! 1 Left which meant it was smash the shit out of stuff time! Also, the Riptide decided it would be a great idea to try and assault the LR which caused a glancing hit! Guess who's going to pop out now... Oh crap! Death Cults and Inquisitor! The Crisis suits tried to pop other bits and pieces but remain ineffective!




Suddenly, the game burst in to life! The DCA's assaulted the Riptide and the DK assaulted Batman! Now shit was going down! Batman was crushed under the weight of his own self importance and the Riptide...took a wound! But to be fair, Nova Charging for a 3+ invun helped! This combat would last until my Turn 4! Just had to keep going! More on that later!





I've listened a lot to Gaz Donnelly (Wales ETC and Dudley) about his ramblings on GK and what can be taken in a list to make it competitive and really this list was based around his ideas so it was useful to see how this worked in practice as I've only used it against Ade a few days before! (I'm going to cover that game in this report but I wanted to get this down while it's still fresh!)
To be honest, the game was very much tit-for-tat. I was really under the cosh after the first turn and it was really just holding 2 objectives and trying to contest one would have to be the grand plan!
Turns rolled on and so to did the poor dice rolling, on my part and the dirty Tau tactics of staying back and being pussies! This really meant that I couldn't get close to them until the Land Raiders broke free and made a beeline for the Aegis with the fire warriors behind holding 2 objectives! Luckily I've got a redeemer with massive AP4 flamers... perfect for Tau killing! I've managed to now wipe a unit off the objective and stormed the LR over the Aegis blocking off the objective from the rest of the warriors!
Broadsides? Multi-Melta and Lascannon from the Raven took care of them! One a turn... pop...pop...pop!





 So the game ends on Turn 5 and to be honest... there isn't much left! The Riptide fell to the DCA's and that's really important! I only smashed the DCA's in to make sure that they could just hold him up for a few turns so he couldn't blast things off objectives, well at least not until the 5th turn!
The LRs became the star of the day because Alan could not deal with them! He just didn't have enough power to smash through AV14 which meant that my firepower could just hammer everything across the board with little threat of a come back!
In the end...I won 9-8! In a game which I thought I'd lost or at the very most drawn, I pulled out a win thanks to the LRs clearing objectives and being used as a buff!
Interestingly, my opponent wasn't too surprised about losing but he felt that the margin of loss would have been greater with 2 other dreadknights bouncing up the board! Maybe he's right but we'll never know!!!

Here are just a few pics of different games at WHW on Sunday! Some are from Mids Challenge Games, others are from randomers with some AWESOME minis!



























Now... I've been playing GKs for a while but not in the way that others have played them with the build of Cotez and DCA's/Crusaders like I have done in this list. This list really has been inspired by Gaz Donnelly and I was lucky enough to play him in the 2nd game of the day! Gaz is no mug and a fantastic player who will capitalize on any wrong move or mistake that I've made!
Well, he did! The game lasted under an hour!

Here we go then...
Gaz took:
Inquisitor w/Rad and Psykotrope
Cotez
Land Raider
4 x 4 DCA and 2 Crusaders
3 Storm Ravens
2 Dreadknights w/Teleporters and Greatswords

In truth, this game doesn't have a lot to tell you! We called the game at the end of turn 4 because all I had left on the table was 1 Land Raider... Hmm...
I made some grievous errors, not just in tactics of the game but in list construction too! So, instead of telling you how far the rod was inserted up my ass, I'll tell you where I went wrong!

1. Not enough Crusaders in the list! Too easy to crack the first one and then on to the DCAs which means it doesn't work when 1 DCA is against 10 men in combat!

2. Use Ministorum Priests in Inquisition units! Well, what can you say! They are pretty freaking awesome! Give the unit a range of abilities such as reroll saves... Imagine a unit where you could reroll invun saves and it's not screamer council! WOW!

3. Change the Land Raiders. This point I take on board and want to try! Against the Tau, it was okay because he didn't have anything to crack the LR but against Gaz, 3 Ravens can just pop them easily! Gaz is looking at the same build as I am but from a slightly different angle. He reckons that 2 LRs with Lascannons would provide long range fire from the back of the board and can be a LoS blocker for objectives! If 3 Acolytes were popped in there, then if the LR was glanced to death they could get out unseen and claim! Bonus!

4. Don't be a prick and change the LRs forward! No explanation needed...

5. Include more DCA's! Goes with the crusader bit! Just need to think about what I'm doing with points!

6. Drop a Dreadknight! The big thing in this game was that my Dreadknights didn't have greatswords to reroll hits and wounds, whereas Gaz's did and it really showed in their quality! Gaz's DKs blitzed everything because of the rerolls, mine...failed because all they had was a dreadnought fist which enabled them to smash hard but with the 6th Ed rules they do anyway! But dropping a DK it frees up points to spend elsewhere.

Have a look at some pics from this game! My only regret is that I didn't give Gaz much of a test but I was able to bounce ideas off him and chat about what we would do with the list to evolve!
Next time, I'm hopeful that I've learnt enough to actually give him a game to last over an hour and 5 turns!!!















Now, Graham and Nathan decided that they would stay and watch my ding dong with Gaz... And this is how they ended up...
Not even bothered about the game! Just like a first date! Awwwww!

You might notice that there is a theme with some black tops going on here (Suddenly light bulbs go off!) and you'd be right! Pete has put a lot of time and effort in to ensuring that we all look the dogs bollocks (and for some just to look bollocks!). I want to say a massive Thank You to Pete for his organization of the day and also the gaming shirts!



There you can see Nige's top! The logo has been design by Trujsson (@trujsson), so a massive thanks to him!!!

I've been working on a GK list but I'm finalizing the details to make sure it is wholly rounded!
In my next post I'll be posting the list and what I've decided on and my adventures in the land of Malifaux with a campaign weekend coming up and a visit to the Leicester Squigs! Cannot wait!

Until then, thanks for reading.
I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment