Sunday 4 May 2014

The one where I review Pubfaux!



And… we’re back! I know, I know! It’s been a while but it’s okay! I have a shed load of geeky goodness to impart on to you!
This post I’ve got:
Pubfaux Report
ToMB Update...but not really ToMB!
ToMB (but not really) Battle Report
LGS Campaign Day

Well, you may know that I traveled down to Woking to take part in Woking Weird Boyz’ Pubfaux! This was my first venture into the wonderful world of the Malifaux tournament scene and from all the talk I’ve heard over Twitter and Podcasts (mainly Malifools), I was quite excited and slightly nervous at the same time. My experience of playing at Leicester Squigs against Ben gave me just a taster of what was to come!

I was fortunate that this was a ‘small’ event in my terms with 12 players, there were more but people pulled out over the course of the week so it left us with a pretty close-knit event. Leicester Squigs did provide 5 of the players so you know you’re in for a laugh when they’re there! Also, it was a certain Mr Henry’s birthday (@Joel_Henry) so we got to enjoy his home-made ginger cake! Delicious! Thanks Joel!


I’ve been to numerous 40k tournaments be it Independent or GW run and there is an atmosphere for competitiveness which is good for a tournament and the whole purpose of an event such as this, but every time I turn up I get the feeling that the guys are there for themselves and/or a group of people not for the enjoyment of everyone. So, one person will play a game against their opponent, have no real interaction and then bugger off to do the same again to another player. Now, in Battlefield Birmingham that didn’t happen and that was the first time, however, I always get the feeling with GW games that it will happen at some point, perhaps the next event! So, this experience in a Malifaux event was just the ticket!

Honestly? I was nervous because the players that were down to play are all experienced on one level or another, albeit starting in at M2E or joining the game in 1st Edition. I wouldn’t have been unhappy with a few wins and some tight losses! Well, as it happens…it didn’t go like that but I’ll come onto it! So, the tournament is called Pubfaux and it is played in a pub! A really interesting time there and something which has given me lots to think about if I was going to run an event. Now the venue, very good, if a little dark (which is reflected in most of the photos) but still plenty of room to play. What I was disappointed about was the fact that on both days the venue was open late and even ran in to the 1st and 5th games. It was a shame because we had to call the 1st game short on turn 3 which wasn’t really a game, it was more like a start! I did wonder what would I do if I was running the event? I understand trying to play 7 games but really I felt it should have been cut and the event goes down to 5 games across the 2 days, which is more than enough games of faux! Anyway, besides some very rushed games I had an amazing time! A varied bunch of tables which provided different challenges!

I will go through all 7 games in little or no detail due to having a week break but I do have some basic details (and lots of photos)!





I should mention that normally in Malifaux (for my non-faux readers) you can select a pool of figures in your possession, this time we have to select a series of Masters (as many as you wish) and 100 Soulstones (points) worth of minions, etc. Upgrades were not included in the 100SS pool.
I selected:
Masters: Mei Feng, Misakai and Jacob Lynch
100 SS List: 2 Illuminated, Fuhatsu, Ototo, Yamaziko, Rail Golem, 3 Wastrels, 3 Torekage, 3 Rail Workers, Hungering Darkness, 2 Oiran, Kang. Something like that! Can’t remember all the details!

Across the weekend I had a few objectives:
1.       Don’t get tabled every game
2.       Try new models and Masters to get myself used to different play styles
3.       Better myself by playing experienced gamers
4.       Learn from mistakes
5.       Try new schemes which I haven’t used before, even if it means losing or only completing them!

Success? I would say so!

Let’s get to it:
Game 1: Reconnoiter
Schemes: Plant Evidence, Make them suffer, Bodyguard, Protect Territory and Line in the Sand (which is of course, always in the scheme pool)
I'm playing against Richard (@wrkbnchwarriors) who has just started playing Malifaux like me, so it was a perfect match to get used to our crews and get in to playing at a tournament. For this round we had just over an hour, whereas other rounds we had 2 hours/90 minutes depending on the round number so this was very rushed. As we are both getting into the game it would have been good for both of us to have finished the game so we could get used to the tournament style and have a game where we both learn together! 
Rich was using the Mei Feng crew with a Rail Golem chucked in for good measure! It was a really tight game and one which Richard took a 4-2 advantage! Really, I would liked to have played him again in the tournament (not sure he will have felt the same way) because it would have been good to see how we had progressed over the course of the weekend!  
Anyway, I took: Lynch, Huggy, 2 kage, an illuminated, Yama and 2 wastrels. 
I can't remember the schemes I took but all I know is that I didn't do much towards them! I know I took Plant Evidence and I think I took Bodyguard on Yama who got smashed in the face! 













I did say it was dark! The light which you can see is from a small lamp which clung to the wall above us!



Game 1 done and I'm down on the bottom table, which is now the 'bye' table. I was playing the TO Rory who was playing a boxset Raspy crew with Joss (of Ramos Fame) and a December Acolyte! Actually, Joss is AWESOME! Like proper awesome! Like really good! 
So I was guaranteed the win, which is really a bit of  a cop out, however in a tournament with 11 players (yes, I said 12 earlier but 1 dropped out on the morning of the event) it was inevitable!
We were playing Reckoning and with the schemes: Frame for Murder, Spring the Trap, Distract, Assassinate and Line in the sand!
I took Misaki with Yama, Fuhatsu, Ototo, 2 kage and 1 illuminated with the idea that I wasn't going to get killed easily with a shed load of large wound characters...well... I was wrong! Raspy tore me apart! Her abilities which allow her to channel through others are just ace! One thing I did wonder and I didn't ask was - Rory put his December Acolyte on top of a pillar, I could have gone for him but I wasn't sure how to get up there! It was about 5" high so I wasn't sure if I could get up there and hit him! It didn't effect the game it's just something to know next time so that if I did need to take action I could do it! Or even use it to my advantage!
End of the game, in reality, it was a 3-3 draw! An excellent game and another learning curve!










So Joss... is...really hard! Hmm!


Anyway, back to the whistle-stop tour of Pubfaux! 
Game 3 brought another massive challenge where I was facing a Leicester Squig (Brooks) playing a Marcus crew with an Acolyte and Mech Rider. The Mech Rider is... awesome. Is it me or are Archanists just really quite good?! This is Archanist crew number 2 today and I was expecting a bit of tricksy bollocks! I've never seen Marcus played so I was really interested to watch how he performed! I decided to use my 3rd Master of the weekend in 3 games... Mei Feng! Well why not! I've got - Mei, Golem, 3 Rail Crew, Yama, Oiran!
What are we playing I hear you ask... Steak a Claim with Power Ritual, Deliver a message, Assassinate, Breakthrough and Line in the Sand. 
I managed to get Deliver a Message which was good because that is one of the schemes I've never seen before so know I've got a better understanding of what to do and how to get that scheme completed!
In the end, I lost 6-5 a really tight game but boy does Marcus pack a punch! He managed to turn Mei Feng (who had rail walked up the board to start smashing stuff 1st turn) into a beast and sent her back into my crew taking out an Oiran! Then, the cheeky bastard turned the Golem into a beast! DAMN IT!!! Without that, I think we would have drawn at least! (I hope!)






Well... things aren't going great! After this game I felt the need for some Metal Gamin! I do need to invest in some to put into this to enable Mei to just sling around the crew with ease! They are tough little cookies too, so they will be a purchase for the crew next!


Last game of the day and I think it was fair to say I was slightly tired! It was a long drive down to Woking from the Midlands and 3 very hard games against great opponents. Nevertheless, it is a tiring experience and with the daunting task of another 3 games tomorrow, this game was far from my mind. It was, however, an interesting game as I came up against a Lynch player who had been playing him for a while so had the crew down to an art! Jamie is a local-ish lad from just up the road in Canterbury and it was good to play someone from a different area and with a different approach to the game!

The strat: Squatter's Rights with Outflank, Vendetta, Breakthough, Bodyguard and Line in the Sand. 
I was using the same crew as the game against Brooks (Mei crew...if you can't remember it from like 2 minutes ago you need to be on meds or see a doctor!). Jamie took: Lynch, Huggy, 2 Beckoners, Graves, Tannen, 2 Illuminated, 2 Terror Tots. Okay, Lynch is being played as Neverborn but that would be more or less the same crew as I'd use for TT just without the Tots! I'd have to find a different solution for them...or even just use Lynch as Nvrbrn! 

This game... went a little bit shit...so shit that I lost 10-1! Nothing more to say really... no excuse, it was far from my best game but when your Rail Golem dies in the first turn to a Red Joker from Huggy you're really up the shit for the rest of the game! Nevermind! Onwards!










End of Day 1 and I'm 1-3 in the tournament, which puts me firmly at the bottom! huzzah! That's okay because I knew this would happen I just wanted to get involved with the Malifaux scene and have a laugh whilst doing it!


Now I felt knackered and I was ready to hit the sack (at 6pm) but because of Joel's birthday and the lads being a fantastic lot, I went out for a meal. I'm really glad I did! It was great to be with a group of people who are the same age (more or less) and have a chance to have a discussion about various gaming topics based around Malifaux. I've said before that the gaming group in my LGS which play Malifaux is a new group, an emerging game with limited experience of the game! Being able to talk to experienced players who know the game, who have been in the beta testing of Wave 2 models and talking about combos was great, it gave me a deeper understanding of what to use, how to use it and when to use it!
I should mention in this section that @wrkbnchwarrior kindly gave me some insulation foam to model bases from and I want to thank him for that! Also, I managed to get hold of a Tara box crew from Joel which I look forward to using (you'll see a report later about her!).

So, fat and full from nice Pizza meant that it was time for bed...but before I go sleep, one of the lads has posed a question... I would like to share it with you and give you something to think about!
Who is the most wanked over person of all time?
I'll say no more, but have a think about that! There have been some interesting names banded about! 
Right, now I'm sure you haven't just gone away from your computer/tablet/laptop and had a think about that whilst perhaps doing something you shouldn't! And if you did... make sure you wash you hands before you start scrolling down here! Filth! You disgust me!

Game 5:
Again, the pub was late to open and this had a knock on effect for the rest of the day, as we were later finishing than expected which meant the long drive back was slightly longer! 
We were on Turf War with Plant Explosives, Vendetta, Bodyguard, Protect Territory and Line in the sand.
I used Mei again with the golem, 3 workers, 2 wastrels and Kang! 
I was up against eventual winner Graham who was running Marcus, a basic boxset without the snake and the inclusion of another Sabertooth, Joss and 2 Ice Gamin! 
I would love to tell you that I won this game but I think I gave it away when I said that Graham eventually won the tournament! Graham is a Squig too with a vast array of experience! I didn't write down the score (I must have been embarrassed!) but I can tell you I soundly lost this one!









I did fail to mention that today (the Sunday) we were pitted against random opponents due to the fact that there was not enough players to face against! I should also mention something which racked everyone off in the event - 
Over the night, one of the 3 Canterbury lads pulled out for some reason, not a problem now we're down to even numbers so there would be no byes! The other 2 lads turned up outside the pub on Sunday and waited with us to be let in. They both disappeared to get a maccies/coffee and never returned! So for Sunday we were now down to 8 players! 5 of which are now Leicester lads! Random opponents was the best way for this event to go! Very poor form that they disappear with no rhyme or reason to it and not even letting anyone know! That was a real downer on the Sunday and the event! It did mean that it would be an easy run for the Wooden Spoon!!!

Game 6:
We're nearly there and I get pitted against the 'then leader' Hutch who is playing Colette...filthy, filthy Colette...the dirty whore... Sorry! So Colette...*shudder*! 
Okay, Reconnoiter with Take Prisoner, Murder Protege, Assassinate, Distract and Line in the Sand. 

 I used Misaki with Futhasu, Yama, 2 Archers, 2 kage!
I'd love to tell you what Hutch used... I know it was Colette, Cassandra, Performers and some dolly things which had scything blades - awesome!







What I like about Colette is the fact that you can drop scheme markers for a (0) action in her control area and she can navigate herself towards them!
In the end? I managed to pull off the only 10-0 loss of the weekend! It wasn't a close game, the fact it was a control mission and I took a big lumbering behemoth in Fuhatsu wasn't the greatest choice! But I'm here to learn and learnt I did!


The final game of the tournament and I get to face Joel Henry...UK's Number 1 Malifaux player! I'm not going to lie, it was an honor to play him and he is a real gent! I've listened to him on the Malifools podcast and after chatting to him our adventure on the Saturday night I couldn't wait to give him a game! He's a quality player who knows what he's doing and knows the game inside out! I put on Twitter some time ago a crew which looked like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears (with a few more bears than 3!). Goldilocks - Lilith! Papa Bear - Mature Nephlim, Mommy Bear - Never played against it, so I'll never know and Baby Bear - Terror tots! Trees - Waldergiests! For good measure, Joel used McTavish from the Gremlins (he is a mercenary)! McTavish is someone I've heard of but never seen used before and he was just awesome! A really good little figure with some neat rules which allow him to do some serious firepower damage!
Strat: Reckoning with Make them Suffer, Cursed object, protect territory, breakthrough and Line in the Sand!








Eventually, after just 1 hour it was all over! I'd like to say I gave Joel a game which tested his ability as a Malifaux player but I gave him a game which would give anyone a confidence boost! I'm sure I got a few points but just like the previous game, I forgot to write down the score! It was something like 10-2! A slight improvement from a 10-0 but still, well and truly schooled! Let's be honest, I would rather get spanked and shown what I was doing wrong rather than play and just do the same thing over and over not improving! 

Here are the best painted nominations for the crews, Joel did come away with that prize!















For once, I came away with a prize and a useful one too! I also got in another photo shot as I photobombed Richard's Dice Bag shot! 

A really good tournament and I would recommend the tournament scene to any Malifaux player no matter how experienced you are! It is full of friendly, helpful and thoughtful guys who want to give you a game which you will enjoy and learn more about the game! 
I'm looking at events to head to soon and give it another go! I would love to take part in one which is localish too so I can try and get a few of my mates involved playing! 
My closing pictures for this segment... Well, look at these - just AWESOME!



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

ToMB but not really ToMB!

I blogged about having a Dreamer and Pandora crew similtaniously for ToMB but I got to the stage where I got painting, got all excited (not in that way) and never got to play them for one reason or another! I have used Pandora once or twice but never used dreamer and the more I looked at him, the more I couldn't bring myself to use him because I just didn't want to and the models didn't suit what I wanted to do! 
So in an unprecedented account of heresey, I am going to change my crew build to Tara! I have sold off both Pandy and Dreamer so I'm going to start again using Tara. Now, this is abit of a difficult one because I want to use Tara's crew in a few games of a campaign which is running at my LGS, so I'm kind of participating in ToMB but like the spoilt  kid in every class, I'm spending my dollars at once! I've managed to acquire the crew (Gencon Edition) for a reasonable amount and I've added the following models: Killjoy, Bishop, Crooligans (Proxy - made from GW figures!), Dead Rider (Thanks to Adam's Cheated Fates report!), Hanged, Death Marshals,  Bete Noire and Philip and the Nanny... Which I'm going to rename as Willie and Philly! The reason... I'm going to use Willie the Demolitionist as the nanny!!! Stay tuned! 
I've started painting my Killjoy but before I painted him, I put some of the GW earth which cracks and used that on his skin! I'll put a few more pictures up when I've fully finished him! 

So, I'm doing ToMB but not doing ToMB, as I've started a new crew but not keeping to the restrictions of spending each month. If you like, I've spent all my allowance in one go and I won't be spending again!!!

 
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

ToMB (But Not ToMB) Battle Report!

Down to my LGS (Titan Games) with my Tara Crew! I had been listening to a few podcasts and reading a few articles about Tara and her crew! The main piece of advice was not to use Katrina because she is utterly shit! Well, I didn't! 
I've managed to get myself a game against Keith and his Pandora crew! Keith is in the process of changed to Lilith and the billy bollocks but he decided against it for this game! 
We played 50SS which was good for me, some worthwhile practice at a tournament pointed level.
Keith took: Pandora, 3 Sorrows, Candy, Kade, Poltergeist and Barbaros (with some upgrades)
I took: Tara (with the usual upgrades), Death Marshal, Nothing Beast, 2 Void Wretches, Bete Noire, Killjoy.





So, Turf War (which is all I seem to play at my LGS! It seems to be flipped all the time!) and I've taken protect territory and Deliver a message! There was breakthrough, line in the sand and something else which neither of us took so irrelevant!
We got to play on the ace table again!


This game was fairly rushed too as we only got 3 turns in before the store closed, which was a bit annoying but it was a good start to see how my crew would perform against someone as tricksy as Pandy. 
In the picture above, I've set 2 Void Wretches on the right waiting to make a break for the turf marker, the death marshal and the nothing beast on the left ready to go in the box and Tara on the bridge! Killjoy and Bete were buried just waiting for something to get killed! ;) 

Turn 1 saw the Nothing Beast get buried, unburied and in the mix straight away. Tara used her ability to get the nothing beast right on the turf marker and into melee with the Poltergeist! The void wretches moved up and dropped markers. Tara's ability to make things fast enabled the voids to dart up the board a bit quicker! 



Turn 2 was very much a stand off but Pandora did join the fight against the nothing beast which gave me the opportunity to Deliver the Message! I actually revealed both schemes at the start of the game so that gave me 3 VP straight off. Both Keith and I managed to get a point for Turf War each and with my 3 for Deliver I was 4-1 up. Still nothing had been killed so Killjoy and Bete were still buried... COME ON! JUST KILL SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In T2, I did manage to bury Barbaros in the box who was bombing it down for Breakthrough!


Turn 3 came and finally the Death Marshal bit it and out popped Killjoy and Bete in all their glory, right next to Barbaros, Candy and Kade! Well, Killjoy managed to deal severe damage to Barbaros which got rid of him but did leave Candy to run down to get a point for breakthrough! Again, we both received a point for Turf War. I gained a 3 points for Protect as I kept Tara and the Voids within 2" of each marker I dropped and Keith failed to accomplish Line in the Sand, which he didn't reveal! Boo!





In the end, a 8-2 victory given the limited time! I have no doubt that Killjoy would have munched through both Candy and Kade, as well as Bete playing her part! Really enjoyed playing Tara, she offered a different dynamic! I like the idea of burying peopel and the void wretches being able to attack them in the void! Really like that dynamic! I know I haven't faced a tough crew yet and I'm sure I'll learn a lot about my limits with the crew but that's for another day!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
LGS Campaign Day

So Round 2 of the Malifaux Campaign is upon us next Saturday and I've declared my allegiance to the Ten Thunders, which is the right thing to do! The rules for the campaign do state that you can use any master from any faction to fight for the faction you have chosen! After all, this is Malifaux and the world is crazy as it is!
I have been using Shenlong over the past few weeks (not including Pubfaux) but I want to use Tara and see what she can do! 
We do have a limited pool of players but there should be a few more joining the weekend on the 10th and that will be great for the campaign! Can't wait to play against some different crews! I know there is a Viktorias crew going to be joining and possibly a Sonnia crew too! 
I made up some quick faction leader boards to put up in store! Currently, I lead the Ten Thunders (because I'm the only one) and I'm currently in control of Malifaux because of the amount of accumulated points! 
Really looking forward to the 3 games this week and I will report back on how I've done! 

I've got a game this Wednesday against @79sponge with his Raspy crew and even a 40k game against @NigelSBartlett on Friday! Good times ahead! Also this week... MARVEL DICE MASTERS IS OUT! BOOM!

A lot to look forward! I will have a look at a list to face Nigel and a little list to face Sponge and get them up on the blog!


My final offering to you... A few models from the Pubfaux weekend - 







Thanks for reading!


I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment