Wednesday 28 December 2016

Brewing up a Storm (Age of Sigmar)

Welcome back!

I've been thinking recently about choices in AoS for my new Stormcast force and looking at list selections.



Having the benefit of being a hobby butterfly I’ve experienced a vast array of gaming systems and tournament approaches. One approach I quite like the one taken by Privateer Press for their game: Warmachine (and Hordes). You are asked to take two different lists – if you so wish – which can be used throughout the tournament depending on the scenario and the opponent’s choice of faction. Of course, it is easier in Warmachine to differentiate two lists with two different Warcasters (or generals) because they are so vastly different.

I love the idea of taking two lists which do vastly different things and being able to use them throughout the course of the event. The only stipulation to the Warmachine format is that you used to have to use both lists at least once during the events – okay for skilled players but for players who don’t quite know what they’re doing due to lack of practice with one list or the other, it can prove a stumbling block and often lead to a ‘lighter’ game for an opponent who is well versed in the lists they have taken.

Using two lists as opposed to a pool system effectively gives you double the amount of points to play with in order to compete. Now, some would argue that the skill is in the playing of the game as opposed to building two lists which can compete and players should use one list but in this instance, I disagree. Part of the fun for me is list building. Devising combinations, calculating points and just generally the pre-prep stuff. Part of the skill of playing the game is coming up with combinations which are answers to other lists or completing scenarios. Surely?

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about list combinations and models which I can use. I’ve taken the idea of a ‘deathstar’ unit to use in order to burst forward and break the lines of the opposition. This is my list so far:
***Stormcast with Colligate***
Lord-Celestant (Runeblade/Warhammer)
- Obstinate Blade (Runeblade)
-Reckless

Knight-Velixor
Battlemage
Battlemage
Judicators (5)
Judicators (5)
Judicators (5)
Liberators (10)
Prosecutors w/Javelins (3)
Retributors (15)
Gryph-Hound
Gryph-Hound
[2000]

The idea behind this list is to have a teleporting force with the Retbributors which go in a pick off targets whilst using the battlemage’s abilities and Celestant ability to give them bonuses to hit and wound which goes down to a 2+ for both. This, coupled with the gryph-hounds ability, it ensures that there is a swift reaction to dealing with units. This force is fairly low on the model count and therefore may be found lacking. I’ve yet to play a game with them yet, so I will be interested to see how I get on. I’m hoping for two games this week to test out the validity of this list and see how units fare.
I have another list in the offing but at the moment I’m trying to fine tune it to suit my needs of dealing with horde armies. There is a lot of merit in the Warrior Brotherhood Batallion in dealing with the masses and taking an enemy by surprise. To be fair, anything which lets you strike from off the board is a huge advantage.
The Hammerstrike Force is also a favourite of mine but at a minimum cost of 660 points for all those units, I don’t see a huge merit in starting with it. It does, however, smash the hell out of anyone in its wake!

My hope is that I can test the list above out on Thursday against an Ogre force and written a slightly more ‘horde friendly’ one to play the waves of Chaos which will undoubtedly ensue. That is something I’m going to have to take a little time over and experiment with as well. The Decimators seem a very strong choice for this list (that’s the guys with double handed axes) as they get an attack of EVERY ENEMY MODEL WITHIN 2”… seem strong to you? Now, let’s put that in laymen’s terms – A unit of 5 Decimators against a horde of say…goblins… roughly (depending on the size of the unit) could be somewhere in the region of 40-50 attacks combined. Now, with the Celestant on top of that to give +1 to hit and maybe a battlemage to give +1 to wound, you’re looking at 2+/2+ with rend -1. Admittedly, only dealing 1 damage but let’s be honest, most models in a horde will only have 1 wound anyway!

I will also note that I’m going to be getting a small Slyvaneth force in the near future which would go nicely in the Order force but most of all, it’s another smaller army which I can use to give others a different game, maybe something they haven’t experienced before. I did mention that I’ve bene looking at a Death Army to round off all 4 factions and I’ve got two viable options but that’s for another blog!

I’m going to leave you today with a truly amazing piece of artwork by JoseDaniel-Blitz from DeviantArt (Web: www.blitz-art.es
Facebook: www.facebook.com/JuseTheBlitz
Instagram: www.instagram.com/blitz.art). This is just what I’ve been looking for! I love the Chibi style and this is just awesome!

 

That’s it from me today.

 

Thanks for reading.

I’ll see you soon!

 

@geekphotoguy


No comments:

Post a Comment