Wednesday 28 December 2016

Death - the final frontier. (Age of Sigmar)



Death. The final frontier. These are the voyages of GeekPhotoGuy… and I forget the rest.

Anyway, Welcome back! We are today looking at the Death faction for AoS. As you may be aware, I’ve recently had my Spider force back, I’ve started a Stormcast force, acquired a Slyvaneth force and now I’m thinking about starting a death faction.
The Death Alliance book is one of the thinner books out of the 4 main tomes which sees a smaller selection of models but not necessarily to its detriment. I was shocked they stopped making the Tomb King forces because I really liked some of the models and units but under the new fluff, I understand why but it was great to see they have some excellent centrepiece models as a replacement.

Nagash is undoubtedly a superb model and I have loved the stories of him since childhood but he currently doesn’t fit my bill.


Instead I’ve got two options for the way I want to play: Nighthaunt or Deathlords. I know what you’re going to say: Nagash is in the Deathlords’ section of the book and yes, you are right but for the purposes of this army, I’m going to be ignoring his existence.
I’m going to look at the two factions in brief detail and a possible combination of models which I could take in a force of 2000 points. I’m not going to make a final decision now, after all, I have until I’ve finished painting my Stormcast before I start a new force (and maybe after finishing off the Slyvaneth) but I just want to start the ball rolling.

Nighthaunt
One of the ‘Start Collecting’ boxes available from GW, except for it’s not called Nighthaunt as it features the Mortis Engine/Coven Throne which is not in the faction section of the book.


Instead we have the following models:
*Banshee
*Cairn Wraith
*The Black Coach
*Spirit Hosts
*Hexwraiths
*Mourngul (Forgeworld)
This faction within the book are basically the spirits of the dead who are ready to haunt the mortal worlds through terror and anguish to wreak their revenge.
The thought of a ton of ghosts charging forward is a spooky prospect! They have a very unique ability to ignore rend on weapons and due to the size of their force, they can pump out a ton of attacks.
A sample army could look like:
Tomb Banshee
Tomb Banshee
Tomb Banshee

Spirit Host (3)
Spirit Host (3)
Spirit Host (3)
Spirit Host (3)

Hexwraiths (10)
Hexwraiths (10)
Hexwraiths (10)
Hexwraiths (10)

Now, somewhere in there we will have a Mourngul at the expense of a unit or two but that would be the jist of it.


Deathlords
Just like the Nighthaunt, the Deathlords have a limited scope of models. They have:
*Nagash
*Arkhan the Black
*Mannfred, Mortarch of Night
*Neferata, Mortarch of Blood
*Morghast Harbingers
*Morghast Archai
These basically are Nagash’s cronies. They want to bring death to the worlds. Told you it would be a simple run down!

I said earlier that I liked some of the models of the Tomb Kings and there are 3 units out of these which fit the bill. I’ve had a go at writing a short list with them in:

Neferata with Supernatural Horror and Cursed Book (Trait and Artefact)
Morghast Archai (4) (Scythes)
Morghast Archai (4) (Scythes)
Morghast Harbinger (4) (Swords)





An elite force, granted but one which packs a punch. This force does come at just over 100 points under the 2000 point limit. There is a degree of versatility when constructing this list and poses a significant threat. What it is massively missing is bodies! It may be that a whole body of skeleton warriors form the front line of this and then the Archais and Harbingers are used for the heavy duty stuff from behind!

Some things to think about. I really like the aesthetic aspect of the Deathlords but I do worry about the volume of bodies in the list! Like I said, I’ve got a bit of time so some progress may be made the in the development of the Death faction between now and then!

Thanks for reading.
I’ll see you soon.

@geekphotoguy

No comments:

Post a Comment