Monday 8 August 2016

Super Spooks! (Guild Ball)

As previously mentioned, it is nearing the start of Guild Ball's Big League!
This week is the start of the league and for those who have paid extra special attention to previous posts, I am playing Si (@irons1ide1) who is posing the threat of the Union (a group of rouge mercenaries who are guns for hire - patent pending).
As we're both quite new to the game it will be a good test for both of us about how well we know our teams and how, tactically, we cope in a league situation.

I guess that I have a slight edge on experience as I've played 3 or 4 more games than Si but essentially, we're both on a level playing field.

Speaking to Si earlier in the week, he informed me that he has nearly finished painting his entire Union and this got me thinking. Well, I say thinking; more like 'SHIT! I need to get something on my minis!' So today I spend about 6 hours painting up my team. Now, 6 hours - for me - is a fairly long time but with my trademark drybrush and slapdash attitude I've created a team which I'm fairly proud of.

Now, I have a few Union models which I need to paint (Rage and Minx) and not to mention those on order (Tater and Averisse and Greede).

Additionally, I thought I probably should make a goal for my Morticians' team as I'm in a tournament in September and there is a prize for best goal! (At least it's a contest I could potentially be in the running for!)

Concept
I thought that I wanted something a little unusual and when I think of Morticians my mind goes to the old Warhammer Von Carstien dynasty. For me, they have that vibe about them. I've seen goals for Morts which are coffins or gravestones and I've even seen one which is a 'ghost' on the base.
I've always loved the idea of the Black Coach in Warhammer. So much so, I was thinking of doing an AoS army of purely black coaches and having it like a funeral procession (maybe with some banshees as 'mourners'). I digress.
Where was I? Black Coach - right! Well, the Black Coach always symoblised a wrath of the undead and coupled with banshees and wraiths were what drew me to the undead. I always think of that scene in Ghostbusters (doesn't matter which one - new or old) where the librarian (or the bird in the cellar) turns into a proper demon! That's what I want for my goal!
I did think about having the ground opened up - like a burial - but my hobby skills are limited to shit at best so that's not a viable option. What I do have though is a huge bits box of just crap from GW plus a lot of basing equipment and pieces so I must be able to cobble something together... right?!

Production
This is what I came up with:


Broken ground, a ton of chains and two bats... out of hell (sorry)! My idea was that the chains and bats are flying out of the goal and towards the pitch. What I'm missing however is a Banshee which just hovers above it to look really menacing! That will be rectified before the tournament in September!
The idea was that the ground had opened up and the chains of hell come out! So... Phase 1 complete - Phase 2 is the Banshee on top!

Phase 1's final result



I'm pretty happy with it! It's interesting, it's new, it's not a coffin!

The Archangels
So, I've named my team the Archangels. No idea why. I did have a super cool name that I thought of the other day and I never wrote it down so it's totally gone out of my head... If I think of it, I shall close my Archangel franchise and open up a new one... in a new city... with the same colours... same players.

Here we go then:


I wanted to give my players a number too because what's football without a number?!

Well, there you have it! A team painted and a goal semi-complete!

Season Opener
I'm really excited about the start of the league and with my models painted I'm pleased to put them on the tabletop and push them around.
I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to go with during this opening game as Scalpel is a very good captain to use with Union models and buffs and by not having those she may suffer. Those of you who are in the know about GB will know that Obulus is complete balls, particularly with the Puppet Master ability. His style would be better suited to take against the Union, particuarly in order to remove the threat posed by Blackheart or his minions around him.

Potential Union Line-up
What can we expect from the Union? Well, I have a funny feeling it will look something like this:
*Blackheart (C)
*Coin (M)
*Mist
*Rage
*Decimate
*Gutter

There are a lot of threats in that team, I'm looking primarily at Blackheart and his aura that he pumps out which is key to increasing damage in the team. We know all about Rage and Mist (some of the Morticians' favourite super subs) but its Decimate and Gutter I haven't had much experience with. The -1 armour from Decimate in combat is brutal but in a team with little armour, it won't particuarly do much but it is something to be wary of!
I haven't put A&G in that line up because I don't believe that Si has one in his possession... yet! 

Potential Mortitian Line-up
How to combat this team? Well, I've got to keep control and in order to do that I need players who dominate areas without needing much influence. I've talked about Ghast and I think he's a vital player in this line up. I'm obliged to take Dirge so to Silence - he's too good not to! The question is - 'Do I want to pick off players and go for a one goal/take out strategy or go for manipulation?'

So, what I need to take:
*Ghast
*Silence
*Dirge (M)

What I could pop in:
*Cosset
*Scalpel (C)
*Graves
This build would go 'pack hunting' using Dirge too in order to add additional damage. 

Or:
*Obulus (C)
*Bonesaw
*Cosset
This build would look to play football and manipulate Bonesaw and/or opposing players in order to get a clear sight of goal. 

I'm going to have a little think over the coming days and look over a few cards to see what I can come up with. The most frustrating, yet interesting part of the start of this league is that you can't use models from outside of your faction unless you 'pay' other players for them in different ways later on in the league. As we haven't played yet, we can 'pay' to hire anyone!

Onto the league - Union vs. Morticians! Let's go Archangels!

That's all for now!
Thanks for reading - I'll see you soon!

@geekphotoguy

No comments:

Post a Comment