Friday 23 January 2015

Dream a little dream for me...


I've been really lucky this week to get a shit ton of Malifaux games in both real and vassal! After the League of Extraordinary Henchmen I've learnt a few things about the Neverborn which I want to apply to these games.
This week I have: 2 realfaux games against Matt (@thetweetsofmatt) and a Vassal game against Ewan (@iamthefly1).

Objectives:
- Use Zoraida on Vassal against Ewan and gain experience of using her from someone who knows!
- Play two variant Dreamer builds for both games against Matt that I haven't used before (in other words, step away from default and try different models - that I own!)
- Play at least one new Strategy over the course of the week.
- Stop my opponent scoring maximum points on revealed schemes.

All in all, not vastly unachievable goals. There are some very simple ones and a few that I'm going to have to really work on! I think some will be on the objective list for a while! Reflecting on Saturday's tournament, something I did well (in 3 of the 4 games at least) was deny my opponent scoring max points on their schemes. It is something that I hadn't done in previous tournament experience / games and I guess that might have been the mentality that I brought from play 40k and to some extent I guess I still have that but I think I've refined it to seeing what is necessary to kill/damage and what I can leave alone! What I need to do now is really prioritize what needs to be done so that I score points as well!

Well the first game took place on Wednesday against @thetweetsofmatt.

Strategy: Reconnoiter
Schemes: Line in the Sand, Distract, Protect Territory, Breakthrough, Plant Explosives.

So to take an in depth look:


Strategy:
Reconnoiter: Divide the table into four 18”x18” quarters. For every turn after the first, a crew earns 1 VP if it controls 2 or more table quarters.
To control a table quarter, the crew must have the most non-peon models within the table quarter. These models cannot be within 6” of the centre of the table. or partially within another table quarter.

Schemes
Line in the Sand: Place at least 4 markers on the centreline for 2vp at the end of the game. If it is revealed, score 1vp if there are at least two markers on the centreline.
I’ve taken this more or less every time I’ve picked up Neverborn and I’ve taken it every time I’ve used Dreamer. It is an achievable scheme for my crew build but if I want to hold two quarters and have the most models then I don’t want to be going near blurred lines and getting my ass handed to me! Although depending what other scheme I take, this might be alright. For this game: Maybe
Distract
All non-peon models in this crew may target an enemy model with 1” with a (1) interact action to give the target the following condition for the rest of the game:
Distracted: This model may take a (2) interact action to remove this condition from itself. No other model may remove this condition.
This scheme starts the game unrevealed. The first time a model gets Distracted reveal this scheme. At the end of every turn, this crew gains 1 VP if at least 2 models in the opponents crew have the Distract condition.
Distract is one that I’m trying to avoid because I don’t really want to be getting up close with whatever Matt is bringing because although my models are just aces when it comes to being resilient, they aren’t going to be anywhere near as tough as the big hitters he could potentially bring! For this game: No chance!
Protect Territory
At the end of the game, this crew gains 1 VP for each of its scheme markers which is at least 6” from its deployment zone and has at least one friendly non-peon models within 2” of it. Markers with more enemy models than friendly models within 2” do not count towards this scheme.
If this scheme is revealed and this crew earns at least 2 VP from this scheme, it earns 1 additional VP.
Something which is worth considering in this game as I only want to try and hold two quarters with the most models. As long as I’m away from the 6” bubble in the middle of the table then it would be a good choice. For this game: Definite possibility.
 Breakthrough
At the end of the game, this crew earns 1 VP for each of its scheme markers within 6” of the enemy deployment zone. If this scheme is revealed and this crew earns at least 2 VP from this scheme, it earns 1 additional VP.
Depending on the type of crew Matt takes this could be another strong one. Unlike protect territory, it doesn’t need the model near it so some quick models like… Insidious Madness’s could work there! For this game: Definite possibility
Plant Explosives
Once per game, at the end of any turn, this crew may reveal this scheme and earn 1 VP for each enemy within 3” of at least one of this crew’s scheme markers. Then, remove all of this crew’s scheme markers which are within 3” of an enemy model. This scheme does not benefit from being revealed.
Could be an interesting one but it’s a scheme I haven’t had must experience of. I would assume that Matt’s crew will try and come at me and wipe me off the table or flood the quarters so having these near could be a good way to secure 3vp! For this game: Maybe

So a definite no for one and four possibilities in the scheme pool. Matt has declared Ressers which will be fun! I suspected Kirai would be coming out of the box with many many minions coming and something I didn’t experience last time – Izamu the Armour. If his order comes in this time I would suspect that this would be the preferred choice. I was pleasantly surprised not to see a shed load of spirits on the other side staring back at me! Molly

For this game it is very simple what I need to do… stay the fuck out of everyone’s way! With that in mind here are the crews:

Dreamer
-          Tantrum
-          Dreams of Pain
Lord Chompy Bits
Silurid
Silurid
Stitched Together
Stitched Together
Insidious Madness
Insidious Madness
Illuminated

Dead on 50 stones and it’s a little different to what I’m used to although keeping to a very consistent theme. I’ve added in two Silurids to go for the schemes along with the madness and I have taken the summoning upgrade to ensure that I can keep getting Stitched back on the board to just gamble the fuck out of everything!
For my schemes, I’ve chosen to take:
Breakthrough by getting the Silurids to leap and hide (Revealed).
Line in the Sand – despite what I said earlier, I’ve built my crew to be fast, whilst on the way to get the Breakthrough I can earn some vp by doing this (Revealed).

Matt has declared Ressers and his crew looks like this:

Molly
- Tear of the Gorgon
- Forgotten Life
Crooligan
Crooligan
Doxy
Doxy
Belle
Belle
Killjoy
- Unnerving Aura

Schemes:
- protect territory (revealed)
- plant explosives (hidden)







Key Moments:
- Molly summons crooligan, doesnt have an anchor so dies. Killjoy pops out...
- killjoy charges stitched, 7 damage takes to hard to kill and 2nd attack kills stitched! 1 attack left kills daydream. 
- doxy lures a silruid and red jokers damage to kill it
- Dreamer summons a stitched and out comes Chompy in b2b with killjoy... 
- Chompy straight flip against Killjoy, severe and trigger disembowl. Killjoy dies.
- summoned stitch gambles with a crooligan and flips severe
- first activation of 3rd turn - stitched gambles with a doxy, flips a severe... Holy shit! 
- Molly summons crooligan and prompts him to drop a marker. Crooligan gets charged by illuminated and dies! 
- Chompy charges doxy and causes 6 wounds... Doxy dead
- Molly summons a valedictorian and chain activates.
- valedictorian kills two daydreams,s instead of dreamer... Thank fuck! 
- dreamer summons a daydream... Just in case and Chompy comes out
- Chompy kills valedictorian
- Molly brings out Student of Steel, hits Chompy but Chompy stones and saves the damage keeping him on 2 wounds
- game ends: 10-4 win





All in all, another excellent learning game. It was hard to start with but eventually I got to grips with it


Unexpectedly, I managed to pick up another game against a relatively new malifaux player but an experienced gamer... You can see how this is going can't you? 

Onwards to Friday's game and between myself and Matt we agreed to played one of the new Gaining Grounds 2015 Strategy.  It was an excellent game for two reasons: 1. I could play another game with the GG2015 Strats and see how to work it with my crew. 

This time we got:

Strategy: Headhunter
Scheme: Line in the Sand, Distract, Breakthrough, Protect Territory, Power Ritual.

Let's take another look:


Headhunter: Whenever a model kills or sacrifices a non-peon model which it considers an enemy, the acting model’s controller must place a 20mm head marker within 3” and LoS of the killed or sacrificed model before removing it from play. This marker may not be placed in base contact with any model; if there is nowhere it can legally be placed, the skip placing a marker. Any model in base contact with a head marker may make a (1) interact action with it to remove it from play.
At the end of every turn after the first, a crew earns 1 VP if it removed at least one head marker from play that turn.
A strat I’ve had success with before and really it’s simple enough. I wouldn’t imagine going up against a shooting crew, due to the nature of the Strat.

Line in the Sand: Place at least 4 markers on the centreline for 2vp at the end of the game. If it is revealed, score 1vp if there are at least two markers on the centreline.
Okay, so same as before… It’s a solid scheme to take. With the crew I’m taking though it’s probably not ideal! For this game: Not a first pick!
Distract
All non-peon models in this crew may target an enemy model with 1” with a (1) interact action to give the target the following condition for the rest of the game:
Distracted: This model may take a (2) interact action to remove this condition from itself. No other model may remove this condition.
This scheme starts the game unrevealed. The first time a model gets Distracted reveal this scheme. At the end of every turn, this crew gains 1 VP if at least 2 models in the opponents crew have the Distract condition.
With Headhunter as the Strategy there is little point in taking this scheme for me. Although I want the VPs, I don’t think this would suit my playstyle or mentality for this game! For this game: No chance…again!
Protect Territory
At the end of the game, this crew gains 1 VP for each of its scheme markers which is at least 6” from its deployment zone and has at least one friendly non-peon models within 2” of it. Markers with more enemy models than friendly models within 2” do not count towards this scheme.
If this scheme is revealed and this crew earns at least 2 VP from this scheme, it earns 1 additional VP.
Not a bad choice, particularly if there are many places to hide! Due to the nature of the Strat I wouldn’t envisage much left on the table for me! For this game: May give it a try!
 Breakthrough
At the end of the game, this crew earns 1 VP for each of its scheme markers within 6” of the enemy deployment zone. If this scheme is revealed and this crew earns at least 2 VP from this scheme, it earns 1 additional VP.
Again, an interesting one for this whole game. It is possible and I would think that one model would be completing this scheme, maybe of the incorporeal variety… For this game: Definite possibility
Power Ritual
At the end of the game, for each Table Corner that this crew has a scheme marker within 6” of, this crew earns 1VP. Only one table corner within this crew’s deployment zone may count towards this scheme.
If this scheme is revealed and this crew earns at least 2VP rom this scheme, it earns 1 additional VP.
In all honesty, it’s a possibility but I’m not sure that I’d be completing this fully. I can see myself getting 1vp out of it but nothing more. For this game: If I’m desperate.

My crew? Well Dreamer again, this time with a more inbuilt killing mechanism. I’ve gone for summoning Dreamer with the mentality of making insidious madness and stitched to kill and pick up heads!

Dreamer
-          Dreams of Pain
-          On Dreaming Wings
-          Tantrum
Lord Chompy Bits
Widow Weaver
-          Handbag
Teddy
Teddy
Iggy
Daydream
Daydream

The idea with this is so sack off the daydreams to summon stitched in but also keep them close for the Dreamer to palm wounds off on. I have learnt the hard way that keeping the Dreamer in the field with no nightmares is a bit shit! Particularly when Nix and a Rat King are hitting him!


I’ve included Iggy in this crew and I must admit I’ve never ever seen him before – used or the card and when I picked him up I was quite surprised. I’m not sure how he’s going to go but I love the activation control that he gives out. The burning is a bonus too and if I could drop a model at the end of the turn for burning they have taken, that’s all good! The deduction in willpower that this crew will make is an interesting synergy for him when he uses his incite action. Hopefully against Matt that will prove effective and stop certain activations when I need to get things done!

Schemes:
Well… considering I ruled all of them out at the beginning it’s a bit shit! I will be taking Protect Territory and Breakthrough with the hope that I can summon some Insidious Madness out to get going up the board.

This crew focuses on being hard to put down (at least the base crew) so hopefully I can get stuck in with the Teddies and maybe even Widow Weaver will do what she did to Joss last weekend!



Matt has taken:

Kirai
- Swirling Aether
- Unforgiven
Lost Love
Crooligan
Crooligan
Datsu Ba
- Spirit Whispers
Izamu the Armour
- Unnerving Aura
Night Terror
Onryo
Onryo

Schemes
- Distract (hidden)
- power ritual (revealed)













Key Moments:
- Summon 2 Stitched in first turn
- Matt summons 2 Gaki
- 2 Gaki distract Iggy and a Stitched
- Izamu and night terror switch places, putting him in base with teddy
- Iggy pulse gives burning 2 to Gaki and night terror
- Chompy hits Kirai and Ikiryo  appears next to Chompy!
- Ikiryo causes 5 damage on Chompy, stone; 3 damage prevented! 
- Teddy hugs Izamu for 7 in total, taking him to one wound! 
- Izamu attempts to reform (heal)... Flips black joker to heal!  Stays on 3 wounds.
- Stitched gambles with Izamu and wipes him off the board.
- Dreamer summons 2 Stitched and a Daydream and turns into Chompy to see the game off before popping back to Dreamer!
- Final turn Dreamer summons an Insidious Madness to stand next to a marker to score full points for Protect.
Final Result: 9-7

There you have it! Two games maneuvered with plenty to think about! This was a fairly hard game with all the spirits flying around and up until turn 5 I was realistically 6-2 down! Killing Izamu opened a door for me at the back end of the board which left me with breakthrough points to gather. I was fortunate enough to be able to have Dreamer summon Madness and Stitched to deal with small targets/mop up. It was a really hard game and I thought that Matt had smashed me something proper! It made me think... Did I take the right crew? 
Well, Yes and No. My intention was to have models which are hard to take down and they did their job. The problem came in trying to pick head markers up. I managed to get 3 head markers though so I didn't do that bad a job but if you look at the position I was in up to turn 5, I was in a severe loss. Now, I'm not sure that taking 2 teddies is needed and I could try taking out a teddy and putting in something like a Silurid or a Doppleganger. I have another build that I want to try with Dreamer too which I'll have to look at in a few weeks involving Graves and Tannen!

As a side note, I got to play a game bonus against a lad called Chris. Chris has played a few games of Faux with Ten Thunders and he gave me a 50ss game. This was an impromptu game so I won't go into much detail but I used the same crew as I did against Matt:

Dreamer
-          Dreams of Pain
-          On Dreaming Wings
-          Tantrum
Lord Chompy Bits
Widow Weaver
-          Handbag
Teddy
Teddy
Iggy
Daydream
Daydream

Chris (roughly) took:

Misaki
- Disguise
- Smoke and Shadows
Torekage
Torekage
Archer
Archer
Archer
Fuhatsu
Shang

Schemes and Strats:
I took: Bodyguard on Widow Weaver and Power Ritual

We joked before hand about flipping close deployment and how that would be disastrous if that were to happen and I get first activation and start leading nightmares before they activated... then we flipped... Oh shit! Close deployment and guess what... I flip for first activation! Two teddies being led up the board by 2 daydreams... Can you see how this is going to go already?!
Key Moments
- Fuhatsu shoots at Teddy and only deals weak (2) damage.
- Two daydreams accelerate Teddies up the board onto and beyond the centreline before they activate.
- Archer rapid fires into another Teddy.
- Teddy charges Futhatsu and puts him down to 2 wounds.
- Misaki charges Teddy engaged with Fuhatsu, fails Horror Duel and Paralyzes herself.
- Teddy does double severe damage on Misaki and takes her down!
- Second teddy chomps through 2 Archers and a Torekage.
- Widow Weaver engages remaining models in the centre of the board.
- Torekage fails a horror duel and is paralyzed.
- Iggy runs screaming into the corner to drop a power ritual marker, chased by Shang.


Chris called the game half way through Turn 3 after I killed Fuhatsu! In all honesty, I think it was more or less a completed game by that point!

Score during Turn 3: 5 - 0.

So a Vassalfaux to go... I'll be using Zoraida and trying something out with her and taking some advice from Ewan along the way!

Thanks for reading!
I’ll see you soon!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment