Wednesday 14 January 2015

Before the League... of Extraordinary Henchmen!

It's that time of week again where the sun goes down and the citizens of Malifaux come out to play... well, some of them!

Today is just a simple game against Matt (@thetweetsofmatt) down at my LGS (Titan Games: Stourbridge). This is my preparation game before the Masters' side event on Saturday - The League of Extraordinary Henchmen.

Over the last two weeks I've played one new strat from the Gaining Grounds 2015 pack - Interference, which is being played at the event and now, I'm trying another new strat: Headhunter.

I've had a bit of a rush to get everything finished for the Saturday event but I have finished... Nearly! Just sorting the basing out and I'm done. All that is, apart from one (or three) thing(s)... Waldgiests! Despite ordering them on Monday they haven't even been dispatched so I'm going to have to resort to desperate measures... Order them from another website, which I've now done!

This is my work so far, I've started to base them and I want to do something different to the rim of the base which I'm working on at the moment, so maybe I'll have them finished by tomorrow night and just concentrate on the Waldgiests when the arrive on Friday (hopefully... come on Element... don't let me down!)


I'm only taking two masters to the event and I will attach a third over the course of the year - Collodi.

So my pool list for the League:

Dreamer
Zoraida
Bad Juju
Lord Chompy Bits
3 Stitched Together
2 Insiduous Madness
2 Illuminated
3 Sulurid
Voodoo Doll
Sorrow
3 Daydreams
3 Alps

I am tempted to take Lynch, Huggy and another Illuminated just as a back up choice. Although I'm not proficient with him, I know him better than the other two!

The Strats have been revealed for the LoEH and they go a little like this:
Game 1: Turf War (Standard Dep)
Game 2: Head Hunter (Corner Dep)
Game 3: Squatter's Rights (Standard Dep)
Game 4: Interference (Flank Dep)

Tonight will be the ideal situation to try out Head Hunter for the first time! This will be interesting...

Head Hunter looks like this:

(Tomes)
Whenever a model kills or sacrifices a non-Peon model which it considers an enemy, the Acting model's controller must place a 30mm Head Marker within 3" and LoS of the killed or sacrificed model before removing it from play. This marker may not be placed in base contact with any model; if there is nowhere it can legally be placed, then skip placing a marker. Any model in base contact with a Head Marker may make a (1) Interact Action with it to remove it from play.

Victory Points
At the end of every turn after the first, a crew earns 1 VP if it removed at least one head marker from play that turn.

Well...Well... Well... On closer inspection of the strat a model must kill or sacrifice a model, therefore Chompy sacking himself won't give a head marker!

Strat: Head Hunter
Schemes: Line in the Sand, Assassinate, Bodyguard, Take Prisoner, Spring the Trap


My Crew
Faction: Neverborn
Master: Dreamer
- Tantrum
- Restless Dreams
- Pact
Crew: Lord Chompy Bits
Illuminated
Illuminated
Insidious Madness
Insidious Madness
Stitched Together
Stitched Together
Silurid
Daydream

Schemes: Line in the Sand (Revealed), Bodyguard (Unrevealed)
Cache: 4
 
 All in all a fairly basic build. I've used the basis of the list from last time out with the Dreamer which is a fairly consistent damage output. I was toying with the idea of another Stitched instead of a Silurid, but the fact that they have the leap ability gives them such maneuverability to pick up head markers when someone bites the dust... hopefully! He will also help out with Line in the Sand.

I had a real dilemma when picking the second scheme. I didn't want to try and assassinate Kirai, nor to did I want to try and spring the trap on her as I don't really think she'll be near anywhere significant where I could unleash the scheme. Take Prisoner is one of those that I've tried a few times but I've never really got on with so I've tried to avoid at all costs. It is also a circumstantial scheme as the object of the game is to destroy models, so keeping one alive would be fairly obvious as to what is happening to it! Therefore, the only choice left in the pool is bodyguard.

As far as I understand (and read in the rules), Bodyguard must be a Henchman - Chompy. I can reveal at any time (guess when) so the plan is to unleash Chompy on Turn 4, placing him up the board away from everything...more or less, whilst trying to pick off small targets and pick up heads.

Matt's Crew



Faction: Resurrectionists
Master: Kirai Ankoku
- Swirling Aether
Crew: 
Lost Love
Crooligan
Crooligan
Datsue Ba
- Spirit Whispers
Dead Rider
- Unnerving Aura
Night Terror
Onryo
Onryo
Ikiryo

Schemes: Line in the Sand (Revealed), Bodyguard (Unrevealed)... Copying bastard! 
Cache: 4



It'll be really interesting to play against Kirai. I've heard Dan (@danisome1) talking about him and I've done a quick refresher session on her and what her crew can do. Matt has started to paint her, I would think he has a bit more to do before they're finished but they're going to be great!

Here we go:
I lost deployment and initiative flip or all turns bar the first!

Key Moments:
- Out activated by Spirit Summoning Kirai... until they all met Lord Chompy Bits on Turn 2!
- Matt used/wasted 2 SoulStones on 2 Gaki
- Turn 2 - Matt pulls the Black Joker into his hand
- Dat'su Ba uses 'Weight of your Sins' (or whatever it's called) on a Stitched which lays out 1/2/6 damage, so not much bother... until I flip the Black Joker to get a total of 4 and he gets a total of 16, then flips severe damage, reducing the Stitched to 1 wound and reactivate! Problem... the stitched can't move... oh wait, that's not a problem!
- The reactivated Stitched gambled with the Night Terror and killed it dropping a head. This was picked up by an Isiduous Madness which happened to wander by.
- Chompy comes out and unleashed the blue/purple fury on the Dead Rider (which on the picture above looks like a leg on a 50mm base... Use your imagination... he's dead after all!) - Takes 6 wounds off the rider before finishing his actiavtion
- Kirai and the Dead Rider get Chompy down to his last wound. 2 SS are used to prevent damage on Chompy; 3 damage is prevented which would have right royally fucked my plans up!
- Chompy sacrifices himself to bring back the Dreamer who brings a Crooligan down to 1 wound before bringing back Chompy to finish the job.
- Chompy (because it appears to be all about him this game) gets a rush of blood to the head and charges a Crooligan in line of sight of Lost Love... can you fill in the blanks? No? Well... Crooligan smashed, Lost Love cries a little inside and brings out Ikiryo comes out.
- Dreamer goes back to being 'normal' but is charged by Ikiryo. She red joker's the damage which means 8 damage to the small innocent child who just wants someone to play with. In a desperate attempt to keep him alive (which would have happened anyway) a soulstone is burnt to prevent 2 damage. After applying incorporeal, he only takes 3 damage!
- Insiduous Madnesses, Illuminated and Silurids jump around the centre line to drop 4 markers for line in the sand.
- Game ends on turn 3 (due to time running out in the shop).

Result: GPG: 5 (Line in the Sand and 2 Headhunter points)  Matt: 0


Overall an excellent game and another master to tick off the list of who I have played against. I think once Matt truly gets the hang of the crew, it will be deadly... real deadly! I found it an excellent strategy to hunt in packs with my crew, using the incorporeal characters to mop up the head markers after the stitched and illuminated had done the business! As in a tournament, taking bodyguard was a risk. I think in a game where there was just one summoning crew (mine), taking Bodyguard would have been an excellent scheme to take but due to the time constraints neither of us could get to it so that was really 3 points wasted.
Once again, for the third consecutive game I've scored on the Line in the Sand, something I never considered before but now it's a very real and achievable scheme to take. Viva la Neverborn! I do need to think more carefully about the placement of Dreamer after Chompy has sacrificed himself as this did ultimately lead to a charge which across a longer game would have meant that I would be up the shit! It's those slight movement tricks which I need to use in my game to ensure that charge lanes are not an option! 
 

In other news... I now own these! I think I'll try and paint these again soon but I'm very excited about these! I do need a few more games of warmachine to get myself in the swing of it.

Elsewhere in Titan. Games, Steve (@furryjamhats) is making headway in his Necron army using Mars Attacks minis! 


No comments:

Post a Comment