Saturday 31 January 2015

What you gonna do... When Hoff-a-mania runs wild on you?! (BatRep/ToMB2)

Well, Good Morning and Hello!

Yesterday I was meant to have two games of Malifaux against Matt (@thetweetsofmatt) and Adam (@vonstilton) but Adam fell ill, so I got in one game which fulfilled Matt's first #ToMB game... although strictly not ToMB because he used other minis other than the box but he had the right idea!

I've declared Neverborn and Matt declares... GUILD!
Slightly different to what he has been running recently which wasn't a complete surprise but I thought he might try Yan Lo, since he's been talking about it for a while! But anyway, Guild!

So, we flipped for Strat and Schemes and we ended up with:
Strat: Squatter's Rights
Scheme: Assassinate, Line in the Sand, Murder Protege, Spring the Trap and Breakthrough
Some interesting Schemes in the pool:
Assassinate - Kill the opponent's leader
Line in the Sand - 4 markers on the centre line
Murder Protege -Kill the highest SS costed model in the opponent's crew
Spring the Trap - Markers within 4" of enemy leader at the end of any turn earn 1VP. If the crew has equal or more models than your crew, earn an additional VP.
Breakthrough - 1VP for each marker 6" away from deployment zone.

Some things to really think about in that pool.
Line in the Sand is possible, but with Squatter's Rights I think that it would be too easy to remove the markers from the centre line.
Assassinate... I'm not sure about this, particularly as I know what Master he is playing and after having his card read to me I knew this was the right choice not to take it!
Murder Protege is Joss... get bent! That ain't happening!
Breakthrough - Yeah, I've got a Silurid and Madnesses... why not! I might as well!
Spring the Trap - I've never taken this scheme before but with the options in the pool I thought I might as well give it a go!
So more or less a 'standard' crew build for me I suppose:
Dreamer
- On Dreaming Wings
- Tantrum
- Restless Dreams
Chompy
Waldgiest
Waldgiest
Madness
Madness
Stitched
Stitched
Silurid

I thought that with the Squat Markers down, I use the Waldgiest to get a 4" bubble to stop interactions between markers and have the Madnesses or Silurid jumping forward to turn the markers and pop down scheme markers for breakthrough... oh, by the way, these are the two schemes I've taken:

I'm going to reveal Breakthrough and hide Spring the Trap but I will be trying to play this as Assassinate or Murder Protege to see if I can get it off without him realizing!


So Matt went with the Hoff which was interesting... with some very sweet upgrades. Those who don't know (and haven't read my Blog post about The Guild - shame on you) Hoff creates constructs for the Guild but his ability - Power Loop - enables him to use the defense of a nearby construct (within 3"). His Def is 3 normally with a trigger which allows him to gain armour from nearby constructs too! It is scary good if he's got a tight group together!
He went with:
Hoffman
- On Site Assimilation
- Arcanist Assets
(0) Modifications:
Patchwork Plating
Programmed Directive
Hydraulics
Targeting Systems
Joss
Hunter
Hunter
Guardian
Trapper
Johanna / Johan

Interesting build, not one I'd consider with Hoff per-say. The Trapper idea was an interesting one but Matt had revealed Breakthrough and Line in the Sand at the start of the game. I think Guild Riflemen would have been a better selection but unfortunately he does not own any... yet!


I draw my opening hand... Red and Black Joker... Interesting! Three 'useable' cards and then three which are just crap of my plan with The Dreamer!

And we set up... Each madness on each flank with a Silurid hidden behind a building with the Stitched both within 3 of the Dreamer and the Waldgiests next to them! Matt sets two Hunters on either flanks and behind the red building - the Trapper!

The game gets underway...
Key Moments:
- Hunter drags the Silurid into his melee and the Guardian charges in, causes severe damages and finishes it off.
- Joss shoots the stitched and Red Jokers the damage flip, takes the Stitched down to Hard to Kill (1 Wound).
- Stitched gambles with Hoff who has strolled away from his Power Loop, so left himself on Def 3 but was close enough to Joss to gain Armour +2. Stitched does 11 damage, reduced to 7. Hoff down to 3 wounds! 
- Johanna heals Hoff 2 damage.
-  Hoff Power Loops to Joss and heals more damage.
- Hunter walks into engagement with the Insidious Madness and flips severe on a negative flip! 5 Damage... even with Incorporeal it wasn't enough to save him! Dead!
- Dreamer gets close to Hoff, Joss and Johanna. Drops a scheme marker (4" away from Hoff) turns into Chompy and hits Hoff - Matt burns 2 stones to keep him alive!
- Both Waldgiests lay down germination markers which help control areas of the board and stop Joss moving freely kicking the shit out of everything!
- Hoff gets to Defense 7, Armour +3. Chompy hits 3 times and misses with all of them! 
- Johanna charges Chompy, uses the Red Joker on passing a terrifying test and promptly smashes Chompy into a million pieces. 
- Dreamer tries to run away (not before dropping another scheme marker near Hoff) but Joss catches him and brings him down to 1 wound after his attacks and being 'told to' by Hoff! 
- Hunter kills the Dreamer! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
- End of Turn 3: Spring the Trap revealed and 3VP obtained.
- End of Turn 3 VP: Dreamer 5 - Hoffman 0

Matt calls the game at the end of this turn saying that he can't recover from 5-0 down. Had we of carried on, I would have scored 3 for Breakthrough as the Stitched are being pushed around by a Daydream so they can interact in the positions I need them! 

With Hoff's power loop ability he benefits from being close to constructs and because this was Matt's first time with the crew he kept them in a very tight bunch. The Hunters on the flanks did a good job but were too isolated for the most part. When one hunter was dragged in it enabled me to get one of the Madness up the board to flip the furthest Squat Marker. Moving up in one solid lump with Hoff enabled me to flank around the outside getting points for Breakthrough and holding the Squat Markers!

What have I learnt:
-  Don't be a prick and put Dreamer into Hoff (although he did get me my 3VP for Spring the Trap)
- Hoff works better in a bubble so going around the outside to complete schemes is the way forward. 
- Spring the Trap is possible but, for me, it comes under a set of strict criteria and it has to be something manageable to do! Against Yan Lo, it would have been shite!
- I need to expand on my collection with the Dreamer to get someone/something which is a small beat stick. Saying that - What happened in this game was that I ran around the outside and completed schemes/strats
- Don't be afraid of losing The Dreamer - I managed to markers near Hoff and that was key and then what I did was proceed in burning all my resources trying to keep him alive when in truth, I could have bluffed half way but I didn't need to spend this much on trying to protect him!
- Isolate Hoff (by Beckoners or other means) to get rid of him!


In other news, which is hobby related and kind of Malifaux related: I've managed to trade this wonderful Avatar Hoffman for a shed load of Privateer Press Legion of Everblight minis! I must do a blog post on them at some point! Matt built this whilst I was in the store and was very proud in showing it off!

In ToMB related news - I've found these models which I thought I could use part of for the Oxfordian Mages and The Captain!

Here are the smoke plumes! These with Mages on top would look ace!


Lastly for this post, Steve's painting skills have been pushed once again with these two Skaven minis! You can follow him on Twitter (@furryjamhats)!





Thanks for reading!
I'll see you soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment