Monday 3 February 2014

The one about 40k tournaments

I'm desperately searching for a photo to open this blog with, but as of yet I can't find any which would suit my title! Ideally, I want to show you some of my minis, however, this won't be possible as I don't take many of mine (unless they're painted by someone else and look decent!).

I think that I'll settle for this:
Yes, it does look like a 5 year old painted it but I quite like the imagery of a Dreadknight coming through the smoke... or burning in smoke. Whatever you prefer! The most satisfaction I've got now is that I have a completed 1850pts force!

So, this post is about me entering tournaments. For a while now I've been interested in entering the tournament scene for some time for 40k but couldn't find anyone to go with. I'm not one to go myself and try and fit in. I'd rather go with people I know so I can share experiences and problems with someone/people in my gaming circle. I've been to 2 Throne of Skulls where I have taken the proverbial 'fluffy list' which is great if you go against someone else with a fluffy list, however when you play people who have built to smash in tournaments then I found it a pointless experience and a waste of my time!
I remember my first game at my first ever ToS, I played a double defiler/double prince 5th Ed 'Lash List' when everyone got bunched close together and then smashed with a defiler cannon! At the time, I was running a non-Kahn bike army and as a first game, got completely smashed! That tournament, I won 1 game which was good because I'd only been playing 40k for about 3 months. Previously, I'd only touch fantasy and I thought I'd branch out and try the unknown. Now however, I am reluctant to play fantasy and 40k is my mainstay.
My second ToS and 2 wins, 3 losses. Again, not bad, took a Space Wolf list but with no transport some armies just blew me off the table! Really, that put me off tourneys for a while and I wanted to build a list (or two) which could withstand pressure but also kick out a bit of firepower to give a competitive game. Even if I end up losing!

I've toyed with lists and played around with Sisters (not literally, they're far to holy for that!) but after playing and writing lists I found them to be truly a lower-tier army which doesn't offer a lot! Now the Exorcist I hear you cry! Yeah, it's very good but look at the troops... if they get in combat they're completely done for! I did ally them with Grey Knights and have a list which jumped forward - Dreadknight with all the toys and 10 Interceptors! Good, until they got the shit beaten out of them because there was no support! In theory, the list wasn't bad and I would have liked to have played it against a few tourney lists. Maybe one day I will get it back out and use it!



Anyway, tournament entry! I have entered a few tournaments this year with my friends and I've now entered two without them! I've listened a lot to 40k Global and their take on the tournament scene and list building. I did think about asking their advice and seeing what they thought of my latest creation!
I've toyed with 2 different allies to this list, however for the moment, I have settled on Eldar for Battlefield Birmingham!




Primary Detachment: Grey Knights

HQ1: Grey Knight Grand Master (175), Psybolt Ammo (5): 180

TR1: Strike Squad (100), Psybolt Ammo (20): 120
TR2: Strike Squad (100), Psybolt Ammo (20): 120
TR3: Strike Squad (100), Psybolt Ammo (20): 120






FA1:  Storm Raven Gunship (205), Lascannons (0), Multi-Melta (0): 205


HS1: Nemesis Dreadknight (130), Incinerator (30), Great Sword (25), Personal Teleporter (75): 260
HS2: Nemesis Dreadknight (130), Incinerator (30), Great Sword (25), Personal Teleporter (75): 260

Allied Detachment:

HQ1: Farseer (100), Jetbike (15), Mantle of the Laughing God (40), Rifle (25): 180

TR1: Windrider Jetbike Squad: 51
TR2: Windrider Jetbike Squad: 51

HS1: Wraithknight (240), Scatter Laser (20), Suncannon and Scatter Shield (40): 300

Total: 1847

So, this is the list I'll be taking to Battlefield Birmingham V (BBV). I may use it in coming events: War of the Roses and Death or Glory 2 but I'm working on a Necron ally section to this:


Primary Detachment: Grey Knights

HQ1: Grey Knight Grand Master (175), Psybolt Ammo (5): 180

TR1: Strike Squad (100), Psybolt Ammo (20): 120
TR2: Strike Squad (100), Psybolt Ammo (20): 120

HS1: Nemesis Dreadknight (130), Incinerator (30), Great Sword (25), Personal Teleporter (75): 260
HS2: Nemesis Dreadknight (130), Incinerator (30), Great Sword (25), Personal Teleporter (75): 260
HS3: Nemesis Dreadknight (130), Incinerator (30), Psycannon (40): 200

Allied Detachment: Necrons

HQ1: Destroyer Lord (125), Resurrection Orb (30): 155

TR1: Necron Warriors (65), Night Scythe (100): 165
TR2: Necron Warriors (65), Night Scythe (100): 165

FA1: Canoptek Wraith (35), 4 Canoptek Wraiths (140), 5 Whip Coils (50): 225

Total: 1850

In this list, I don't need the Storm Raven, however, I may see if I can fit it in by dropping the 3rd Dreadknight and finding 5 pts from somewhere to gain air domination.
 

I did (although I have NONE of the models) write a CSM list because I got bored one day too. I'm not entertaining the possibility of using this list, I just wanted to get the feel for the Chaos codex! I might try it one day!

Primary Detachment: Chaos Space Marines

HQ1: Chaos Sorcerer, Bike (+1 Toughness), Mark of Nurgle (+1 Toughness), Mastery Level 3, Sigil of Corruption (4+ Invun): 170
HQ2: Chaos Lord, Bike (+1 Toughness), Mark of Nurgle (+1 Toughness), Sigil of Corruption (4+ Invun), Power Fist, Burning Brand of Skarabrand (S4 AP3 Torrent Flamer): 180

Troop 1: Chaos Space Marines (10), Melta Gun, Mark of Nurgle, Gift of Mutation (Roll on boon table): 190
Troop 2: Chaos Space Marines (10), Melta Gun, Mark of Nurgle, Gift of Mutation (Roll on boon table): 190
Troop 3: Chaos Space Marines (5), Melta Gun, Mark of Nurgle, Gift of Mutation (Roll on boon table): 125

Fast Attack 1: Chaos Spawn (5), Mark of Nurgle: 180
Fast Attack 2: Chaos Spawn (5), Mark of Nurgle: 180
Fast Attack 3: Helldrake, Baleflame: 170

Heavy Support 1: Maulerfiend, Lasher Tendrils (2): 145

Allied Detachment: Chaos Daemons

HQ1: Herald of Tzeentch, Disc, Mastery Level 2, Exalted Gift (Will take the Grimoire): 125

Troop 1: Nurgling: 75

Fast Attack 1: Screamers of Tzeentch (6): 150


In addition to entering BBV, WotR and DoG I have entered the Throne of Skulls - 1500 pts. I was thinking about taking my Beast Pack to this and reducing it to 1500. I haven't chosen to use my Dark Eldar/Eldar in these tournaments because I'm just starting it and I think I could get away with it at ToS because I can work on limited points. My problem comes when I've got to get Khymera figures. Currently I'm using Chaos Hounds from WFB on circular bases which work alright and painted up I think they'd be okay, but the problem comes if the 'model police' start to get picky about what it what and whinge! At the end of the day, if they're GW models and they are similar is there really any need for fuss?!
The ToS I will blog about later when I put down my thoughts on constructing a 1500pt list or trimming down a 1850 list! It may be the tournament to try the GreyCron list just dropping the Raven and something else to get it to work! Not sure yet, but there is a bit of time! I will see how I get on at BBV.

So for now, it's a case of suck it and see for tournaments. I really want to play new players and try new things, something which we are doing now down with my mates. I feel the build up to this tournament has given all of us more of a ruthless streak which has enabled us to try out things and face the full consequences if it goes wrong - proper tournament practice.

I'm really looking forward to the 40k tourneys I am signed up for and I hope for more! I want to put myself out on the tournament scene to challenge myself and to evolve lists and playstyles!

Thanks for reading! I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment