Friday 7 February 2014

The one where I have time to burn...

 And Well good evening, good morning or good night! Not sure when this post will be published as I am on a four day excursion to sunny Slovakia with work! This is the first time I'm actually acting as a parent for children... A scary thought to those who know and I'm slightly concerned myself! After all, I've missed their younger years! It's like I've won custody and have them for the weekends! Thankfully, for them and me, it's only four days! 

I want to start off this post by saying a massive sorry to @captainhelvatos who I wrongly named as Shaun and his name is actually Stuart! Please bear in mind that I have an excuse ready... Whenever @petehumpage starts to talk... I zone out! It comes from years of training and on the very odd occasion he has something meaningful to say, I miss it! So Stuart, I am very sorry! 

My Malifaux update comes next with Nigel's progress on my Ten Thunders cracks on here is his latest completion: 
 Big Kang! A fine figure of a figure who stands tall above everyone else...well apart from the rail golem! The crew is coming along nicely and I can't wait until it is completed! Hopefully soon! The good news for Nige is that the Zombies he wants in exchange for the crew are being shipped today!

Earlier this week I made a speculative bid on eBay for the 1st edition dreamer and crew (plus a few extras) just because I like the name Lord Chompy Bits and there is a small child who can kick the seven bells out of anything that walks! I was toying with the idea of starting a pandora crew but after finding out someone in my local Malifaux gaming group plays the devious bitch, I left it! I won the auction and for just £20 I have 9 dreamer related models winging my way to me! I'm going to have to buy more scenic bases! Now I've won him I'm in limbo with what to do with him. Like a lot of the malifaux models, they are a bit special and very reluctant not to get them! This was an opportunity I couldn't pass up, I'm hoping to use either those or TT in the campaign in my local store soon! Of course, TT will be my tourney crew! 

Later this month, somehow, I've managed to wrangle my way into organising a tourney down at my local gaming store. A simple 1500pt 40k doubles tournament, no FW or escalation but the normal rules of 40k with perhaps a hellbent cheese factor a surrounding it depending who turns up! It got me thinking about the formats of tourneys and also how much work goes into it. I listen to a lot of malifaux and 40k podcasts whilst driving around and I hear a lot about tournaments and how much organisers have to do in order to achieve the perfect results for tournaments. There are, however, some people who aren't happy even if the tournament overall is a complete success. Things like 'not enough terrain' or 'format wasn't right' are often common things which I hear on podcasts but also talking to people in the local area. I know that one TO is working exceptionally hard to ensure his tournament is one of the best in the country , which has even seen him expand to more players as well as another game system away from 40k! I know... Heresy! But before you send the Inquisition or Lady J to go knocking on his door I really have a deep admiration for the work he has put in to the tournament and what it is going to look like when it runs later this month! I am attending, and will of course blog a battle rep of the weekend! Back to my point before I went off on a tangent, I realize how difficult it is to organise a playing schedule, timings and just general crap which goes with a tournament, e.g questions! I'm lucky in the respect that I will have terrain and scenery provided, which will be a huge weight off my shoulders! I've got two weekends until the tournament I'm running and in between... Battlefield Brum! 

I've had a lot of comments and questions on twitter and in my LGS about these: 
These templates are provided by Paul Rist (gamer templates on Facebook). He has already done a set of Sisters of Battle ones, as well as Void Dragons or something for the Eldar and slaanesh! Theses were just additions to what we already have! The top Eldar one is for @nigelsbartlett and the dark Eldar is for me! On top of this, Nige has got some counters which are half the size of a penny and compliment his other templates: 
 And I've got a set for my dark Eldar! 
Please bear in mind this isn't a plug! I'm not on commission! I just very much like the templates! He has also done some AOE rings for Warmahordes for me and I think I'll be asking for some Malifaux counters next... Not a lot to ask for! So, for those who were asking: gamer templates on Facebook! He does have an email address but I don't have that on me, if you want it, message me! 

For a while now I've been toying with the idea of writing a short story based around a theme... For example Malifaux or a particular character. I'm going to give the start of it a go. The problem I face is, every time I start a story I do the first page and I have all the wonderful ideas in my head, like everyone does, then for some reason I sit there after a while and think to myself 'this is stupid' and put the laptop down and delete the file. I only want to create a story which will last two perhaps three pages. An almost newspaper column type of story which could be expanded at a later date. I will give it a go and post the opening on here! I think that I will start with my malifaux idea and see where it takes me! 

Next time I'll be looking at the build up to a tournament and what I, doing for it and also I will....I must.... Talk about the Wild West game!!! 

So, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment