Monday 24 February 2014

The one where I play My Little Pony... True Story!

So I said in my previous post that I was going to play My Little Pony (MLP) CCG. A bit of background about this; I was in an independent retailer when I saw this magical pile of rainbow spew! I thought it was slightly quirky.

So the game dynamic is this:
You have a main character (also known as a Mane Character...get it!) with a limit in the 'Home Zone' to how many ponies you can have. The idea is that you solve problems in the centre using cards either in your hand or on the table. For each problem solved you earn a certain amount of Victory Points (VP). Each turn you get a set of action points dependent on how many victory points a player has. The action points are used to play ponies, troublemakers (who make problems harder for an opponent to solve so you can solve it first and gain more points), resource or event cards. 




A fairly easy set up. As you can see, I have the really manly Applejack pony as my Mane character. The Mane character has the chance to flip over to a boosted character with more abilities which help influence the game.

Here you can see the game in more or less full flow. To win, you have to get 15 victory points. I can hear you ask: how do you find action points/victory points ratio? Well, fairly simply, you get a handy card in your starter deck with it!

There are 6 main (or should that be Mane) characters within the game all of which have different abilities to do different things within the game. For example; move characters around from problem to problem for a reduced rate.

Yes, this is based on the Star Trek game of old where you had to solve problems to earn VP.

Now, I've watched a few videos on YouTube because it's the manly thing to do and I've seen a few things on deck building and things to look out for. So I've changed the decks around which now give one a better balance than the other, however, I have ordered the last two Mane Characters that I missing, so that will open up more combos!



Cuteness aside, the game has a great dynamic which will be hard to master but is fairly simple to grasp. (Where have you heard that before!) It provides an interesting take on CCG but one which isn't a kill kill one...i.e - MTG!

ANYWAY, in less manlier news -
Mr. Nigel Barlett (@NigelSBartlett) has added to my Malifaux crew with this spectacular figure...
Well, there is nothing more I can say! It speaks for itself!

Next, do you remember that I said my Mrs had put a spending embargo on and that I may purchase things if I don't tell her? Yes? No? Well... I may have broken the no spending thing but I haven't told her! I've been scouring e-bay for deals on figures so that I can gain a small army. When I say small army... This is my force that I've collected from e-bay/purchased:
3 Helldrakes, 3 Maulerfiends, 30 Plaguebearers, Herald of Nurgle, 20 CSMs. All of this for a grand total of: £240! When you consider my army list that I'm collecting costs £420, I think it's a great deal! Yes, that's what I'm telling myself and that's what I'm sticking to! Okay! Good! So over the next few days I will eagerly await my models. For now, here is what I've done since I last posted:



I have based the Maulerfiend now, but I still need to add detail to the base! It looks very bare.
And I've done a total of 5 CSMs without basing!
Can't wait for the rest to arrive and I will post the results and the whole army on here!
I think I need a bastion, so if anyone has one knocking around... please let me know!

Thanks for reading. I'll see you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment